Mar 31, 2013 – Engine Removal

 

 

Got the engine and trans pulled:IMG_0166

 

Mounted on my engine cart:

IMG_0167

 

Took it to the rear of the garage for a rainy day:

IMG_0169

Next is to tear down the front suspension before removing the sub-frame:

IMG_0170

 

Bought some slightly used front cold springs (10 days old) from a NastyZ28 member.  These are Big Block springs which are exactly what I need for the 454 I will put in.  Got a good deal on them for when I rebuild the front suspension:

IMG_0171

 

Mar 25, 2013 – Prepping for engine removal

All that remains now is to remove the engine mounting bolts and pull the engine\trans.

Received my 781 heads for the 454:

IMG_0163

Disconnected everything from top of car:

IMG_0164

Removed everything from bottom – to the metal recyclers!

IMG_0165

 

Need to break-down and remove the sub-frame before welding the patches in the floor as some of the holes are right above the sub-frame.

Mar 20, 2013 – Prepping for engine removal

Had a little time to prep for the removal of the old engine and trans.  I drained the engine and transmission oil.  I also went ahead and drained the oil out of the 454 while I was at it.  I was pleased to see that the transmission had a drain plug as it is my understanding they don’t have them stock and would have had to been added after market.

IMG_0158 IMG_0160

I am using the engine removal checklist from NastyZ28.com as a rough guide: http://www.nastyz28.com/index.php?page=camaroengineremovalchecklist

 

Mar 12, 2013

Got the misc parts that I unpacked in the car stored away.  I also changed the tires as the two rear tires had a slow leak and I also like the rims and want to store them until I am ready to use them – The tires I put on the car were from the old Camaro and still hold air:

IMG_0146 IMG_0147 IMG_0148 IMG_0149 IMG_0150

Next steps are to remove the windshield, engine and trans.

IMG_0151

Mar 11, 2013 – New Camaro

Got to unpacking the parts in the car.  Good thing I did as there was some standing water in the trunk and floor from the drive out here from Arizona.  I cleaned up the water.  Still need to go through some of the boxes and put away, but did get the Camaro emptied.  I am impressed with the body so far!  Hope to get some garage time in after work today!

IMG_0141 IMG_0143

March 10, 2013 Update

Switching gears on the project.  After pricing out all of the sheet metal I need to complete this project, I researched my options and found a car in Arizona (same year Camaro) that is pretty much rust free for the same price as the sheet metal (including shipping).  The person selling it is a NastyZ28.com member and had it listed in the local Craigs List:

end of october 2012-camaro project 002 3Gd3Lc3Jd5Lb5Ha5M6d1k245d7eeb3179192c end of october 2012-camaro project 004 stuff 004 stuff 005

Pretty much a rust-free shell needing a small patch in the floor – also included pan for patching:

camaro metal 001 camaro metal 002

 

I had my folks who live in AZ go out and look at the car, then purchased and arranged for it to be hauled out to me.  While all that was going on, I sold some parts off of my old shell and cleared out some space in the garage:

IMG_0111 IMG_0112 IMG_0113 IMG_0114 IMG_0115

 

Also purchased a 454 engine and a few more tools for the garage:

IMG_0126 IMG_0125 IMG_0116

My neighbor:

IMG_0127 IMG_0131 IMG_0132 IMG_0138 IMG_0137

 

The truck arrives:

IMG_0128 IMG_0129

 

Car’s new home (good thing the neighbors helped!):

 

IMG_0130

Me:

 

IMG_0133 IMG_0135 IMG_0136 IMG_0139

 

Now I have to unpack and see what all I have.  Then work on that patch panel, strip the car down and get it on the rotisserie for the first coat of primer!  Still waiting for the new title and plates to arrive in the mail within the next three months.  I also need to update the blog menus for the new project!