It has been a while since I last updated my progress. Will make several updates today. First, I used por-patch on both sides of my patch panel (click image to cycle through the pictures). This comes in a tube and I ran a bead along the welded area, then used an acid brush to smooth it out. This sealed and pin holes that might be left over from welding.
Only took me a half day to re-weld the patch panel from the bottom while on the rotisserie. I must be getting better at welding.
Starting with a few tack welds:
There were a couple of holes that needed to be closed. Using this tool from Eastwood to use as a backing while welding them shut:Next, I will be tackling the drivers side toe area with POR-15.
Wrapped up my cleaning and organizing of the garage, shed, and 2nd floor of garage. Now focusing on re-welding a few sections of my prior floor patch work. Before I welded from the inside of the car, and now I plan on going from the outside (bottom) of the floor while it is on the rotisserie. Today was cleaning and grinding the welded sections both on the inside and inside, then cleaned. Taking next Thu & Fri off, so hope to be done with my re-welding by the end of next weekend. The side close to the trans hump area was difficult to get the welding nozzle at, going from the bottom, should provide me with easier access to the areas I want to re-weld.
Bottom of floor shot:
I read about using POR Patch as a sealer over welds. I am going to use this on the floor board patch. I discovered that it is out of stock on-line, but there is a authorized reseller in Red Wing an hour away. They only had one, so I went and bought it…
I had some remaining work from the floor patch panel from last summer. I had to get the old brake bracket off the old floor – will need to weld it to the new floor later.
Here is the bracket on the old floor:
I started by drilling out the spot welds I could find:
Then I used a body saw to cut it out with the old floor metal still on it:
Then I used my vice to hold it while I worked on getting the old metal off of it:
This body seam buster came in real handy:
You can see some of the spot welds I had missed:
Used my grinder to smooth the old spot welds down: Will put this in the blast cabinet and prime it before welding to the new floor.
Made some progress this weekend – got the patch panel tacked in place and started welding it in.
Final adjustments for fitting:
All tacked in:
Bought a new work light from Menards – 500 Watt Halogen.Also removed the remaining wiring from the car. Still need to put a few removed dash parts away. I finally had to turn on the garage A/C as welding in a welding shirt, gloves, and hat tends to heat the body up a bit!!!
Received my magnetic plug weld tools from Eastwood – I have a 4×2 plate that I was using, but wanted something a little more versatile:
http://www.eastwood.com/magnetic-plug-welding-tool-horizontal.html and http://www.eastwood.com/magnetic-hole-plug-welding-tool-not-for-gas-welde.html
Also ordered a re-conditioned used AC dash off of eBay. Didn’t want a re-popped one after reading about fitment issues, so I figured I had better grab a used one while I can! I’ll take pictures when it arrives.