Pin It

03-05-2019 – Spring supplies and decoding Raptor bedliner age

So after learning how to decode the age of the Raptor bedliner, I realized what I had was expired, so I ordered another kit to be safe.  I already had a couple of bottles to use on my test section.  The kit and guns arrived today – the guns were cheap enough that I will use them and move on to the next without cleaning between bottles.  The price was right and cheaper than the recommended cleaner.  Tomorrow my paint should arrive to touch-up the firewall from last year and to use on the hidden windshield wiper components.  I am sure I will need to order more, but at least I can get started as soon as the conditions are right to paint again…

So here is what I learned for decoding the raptor bedliner age:  First, the hardener deteriorates faster than the base.  As a sense check for any hardener already opened see if the contents of the hardener are really liquid (reducer like consistency) if it “sounds” thicker- i.e. syrupy then it has gone passed its useful life.

Typically the batch numbers for the Raptor base is on a paper ticket on the cardboard box. The hardener is batch labelled with a paper ticket on the base. The batch labels use the same 5 digit format where the first digit represents the year so for 2018 this will be 8, 2019 will be 9 and so forth. The next two digits represent the week number when they were produced. The final two digits represent the run sequence through the factory.

02-16-2019 – Another Diecast

Another diecast Camaro arrived:

Just ordered another one today. Will post another pic when it arrives. My display case is filling up with diecast Camaros! After the Daytona race tomorrow and my dog gets his stitches out on Tuesday, I should be able to get some more garage time in. Making a list of supplies for the warmer weather. More to come.

02-10-2019 – More Toys

More diecast cars arrived.  At least one more on the way.  One of them (and the one still waiting on) are unopened boxes and I am debating on opening them up or displaying ‘as-is’.  Been targeting already opened ones as they are cheaper and I wanted to display them, but the price was right on the other unopened ones I bought.  The black one is the unopened one.  Not much garage time as bust with other things the month of Feb…

02-03-2019 – New Toy

Been buying several Camaro diecast toys.  Will post as they arrive…  Trying to find used ones rather than un-opened boxes as I want to actually display them.  Here is one that came the other day and is in my display cabinet – hood and doors both open:

Busy this month with the Lions youth Ice Fishing and helping friend get ready for the annual Daytona party. Not much garage time – pretty much waiting for spring to arrive and get past a couple of other things between now and then.

01-27-2019 – New Toys

Received a couple vintage model kits (more toys on the way):

Still working on assembling the first one I started. Finding time has been difficult lately.  I did order some Testers spray paint which I am still waiting on.  I am also finding it difficult assembling some of the smaller engine components – I may have to wait until after my cataract surgery.

01-13-2019 mini project update

I believe I have all of the engine parts painted. Just need to glue the parts together. Waiting until my model tool kit arrives on Tuesday to use the tweezers since the parts are too small for my fat fingers. Once the engine is complete, I mount it to the subframe, so I started painting that along with the headers, tomorrow I will do the other side.  Already went through the paint thinner included in the paint kit – glad I bought a couple more larger bottles of the stuff! 

01-12-2019 mini project update

Now that I have the posting issue fixed, a couple more pics from the mini-build…  Engine and all the small parts are almost complete – will post updated pics tomorrow.  Just like the main Camaro build, having to buy tools as I go along: paint, thinner, glue, paint brushes, tweezer kit and I am sure there will be more…

Slow going…  Figure out what color to paint (if any), then paint and let dry, then glue and let dry and repeat.  Just doing a little each day.

Also making a list of to-do’s on the main Camaro project as time permits, but with work lately, this is what I have time for and it get’s me a nice break going out to the garage…  The main goal for this summer will be the undercoating and start on the block sanding.  It will be a couple more years before I start making large ticket purchasing – new furnace and water heater this year along with some new furniture…  It is those unexpected expenses that throws things off schedule.  Thinking I may bring the engine home after undercoating so I can start it more frequently.

01-06-2019 mini project update

Note: This is a few days old as an update temporarily broke my posting capabilities.  Should be resolved now, so giving it another go and will post more updates if this posts without issues.

Started on the build now that I received the paint kit and glue. Painted the wheels and glued the block together. Will let things dry over night before continuing. Loki (my dog) came out to the garage to hang out with me. Little-by-little will spend more time out there now that he is old enough to be out there without getting into everything.

Side Note: Major design changes to the blog…. Taking a while to get used to the changes.


Doug Bratton's Personal Blog