Tag Archives: Subframe

3/11/2024 – subframe progress

Took another look at how close things are and decided no more blocking was needed.

I used some bolts and these to help guide things and try to keep things lined up using the alignment holes.  I have the actual tool to use once I get closer.

Got both back sides started. Just needed to jack up one side and with the rest of it blocked, I could wiggle it in place and then did the same on the opposite side. Might be able to get out to the garage later this week or weekend to get the front bolted up. Once I have all four ends bolted, I will tighten things up a little better.

3/2/2024 – subframe progress

Had to use the smaller scissor jack to fit where I needed it to go. Also had to put a couple blocks under it to get to the right height. I was able to jack her up and block it one more time by myself with no issues.

Then I added a block to both sides in the back.  Again, needed the scissor jack to get it where I needed it to go.  I ended up getting a second scissor jack, thinking I might need one on the front and one on the back when I finally bolt it to the body.

I am within a few inches of where I need to be to mount it. Not sure if I will block it one more time or just jack her up the rest of the way. I may do some measuring of the bolts to see how much wiggle room I have.  I will double-check with a rod if I am still lined up to where I need to mount it to.

2/24/2024 – subframe install

Placed the subframe on my rollers and rolled the subframe back under the shell:

Then raised the jack stands and placed it back on the jack stands:Dug out my 2 floor jacks to lift it up and increase the jack stand height as I go:
I may get a second set of hands to help me adjust the subframe to the mounting holes. Going to give it some thought on the best way to wiggle it in place once it is higher up close to the mounting holes.  I may place a 2×4 across each jack stand so the subframe can slide as I adjust things.  One on the front and one on the back.  Might be tomorrow’s task if I can get a second pair of hands to assist.

2/3/2024 – Prepping to mount subframe

Spent most of my project time digging out my tire dollies to use with the subframe to roll it under the body. I had 2, but had to hunt and then dig out the other 2. Now I am thinking I only need 3 of them because of lack of width space between the jacks the are holding the shell of the body.I am going to use 2 in front and then one in the middle with a board to support the back end.
I have cut the board to match the width of the subframe. Of course the yellow stuff is foam to protect the subframe from where it sits on the dollies. Hope to find more time tomorrow to transfer the subframe from the jack stands to the dollies and see if it will work the way I want and fit under the body. I am sure I will be removing the subframe at a later point when I change out the bushings again, but shouldn’t need to roll it out from under the shell again.

5-8-2018 – Updates

Painted the inside of the front sub-frame using Eastwood Internal Coating – had to cover existing holes with tape:

After spraying the first coat, I realized the extension hose was curling up on itself too much – attempt #1 to straighten it out:Then I decided to use a metal clothes hangar which worked wonders! Used a lot less paint and was much more efficient! I ended up spraying 2 coats waiting 24 hours between coats: ALso re-sprayed the drivers inside trunk – much better! Used Clean over it – just had to touch-up a couple spots after scuffing and cleaning. Still need to do the other side.